Thursday, January 15, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Forces of Nature

The Pitch: The story of a man being tested by nature and circumstance on his way to his wedding.
What Took Me So Long: Ben Affleck was a deterrent for a long time, then it became a matter of it not looking like a very unique RomCom.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Ben Affleck and Sandra Bullock are very agreeable leads for this kind of movie. With all the Blind Sides and Gravitys of late, I sometimes forget that Bullock was the queen of the RomComs for a good while. I was very pleased by the ending, that Affleck still gets married to his fiance. It's an actual human decision. While his and Bullock's character have chemistry, it's clear that it isn't a long term one. He and Maura Tierney's character are built for one another.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Can I call Bullock a "manic pixie dream girl" even if the phrase didn't exist for another half decade? Well, that's what she is. They attempt to show how the two leads positively effect each other's lives but it's clear that she's more of a device to help him than he is for her.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment