Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Disney's Planes

The Pitch: Cars was so limiting. Let's take it to the sky (and the toys to the stores).

What Took Me So Long: My opinion of the Cars movies is as low as any animated movies from the past two decades, so a non-Pixar developed spin-off movie that was originally developed as a straight to video release was not going to excite me.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) ...I don't know. The story was harmless enough. For a B-list voice cast (sorry, Julia Louise-Dreyfus) it was fine. Given how much less effort went into it, it looked ok. And, it did lack the espionage angle of Cars 2, which I'd consider improvement through omission.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: The internal logic of this world has never made sense to me. I'm not sure if half the jokes are clever or ignorant (Tractors are cows. In India, they regard tractors as sacred. They don't get reincarnated, they get recycled. It's like they make a game out of how far they can stretch a metaphor and you can hear the writers patting themselves on the back each time). This is a cheap Cars knock-off and I'm a little irritated that it worked, because I don't want to see the lazy Nemo and Incredibles movies that this success could bring.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment