Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Barbershop 2

The Pitch: I don't think you understand. Barbershop could be a franchise!
What Took Me So Long: I needed to see the first movie before I got to this.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) The same things I like about the first movie are here: the laid back atmosphere, the interesting discussion, the fun characters. As expected, it's a little less fresh this time around, though not significantly so. I wondered what the point of the flashbacks for Cedric the Entertainer's character was, then it had a solid payoff, answering questions about the movie's mythology I didn't even realize I had. The ending is pretty anti-climactic in a good way, with the competing shop opening without causing the barbershop to close down [yet].

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Same as the first. I found it agreeable, not laugh out loud funny. There's a couple times when it takes itself too seriously and it relies on recycling a few plot points (I get it. Troy Garity's character is a white guy in a black barber shop).

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment