Sunday, January 4, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Sea of Love

The Pitch: As if blind dates weren't bad enough, let's add the fear of murder.

What Took Me So Long: I never knew this movie existed. This little project of mine has reminded me of how many movies come and go, almost never to be mentioned again.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Al Pacino as an alcoholic New York cop is a pretty easy way to yield dividends. He plays his role very easily. This is the youngest I've seen Ellen Barkin and she's quite striking. Then there's John Goodman, playing a supporting role that's more entertaining than the lead (That's kind of his thing). I probably should've seen the big reveal with Michael Rooker coming more than I did.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I would probably have to be far more engaged in the movie to be sure whether the Rooker twist was a cleverly hidden secret or too jarring a reveal to appreciate. This was a Saturday morning, nursing a hangover viewing for me, so I wasn't paying enough attention to say for sure. All I know is that 25 years later, I see Michael Rooker toward the beginning and think "hey, he must be a bad guy at some point" because that's the kind of character actor he is. Also, I kind of doubt the New York classifieds ads would produce so many attractive people looking for dates. That's movies for you.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment