Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Delayed Reaction: The Accidental Tourist

The Pitch: There's this book, a finalist for the Pulitzer. The narrative is pretty straight-forward. Might as well make it into a movie.
What Took Me So Long: I was confused about if this was going to be a comedy or drama and avoided it because I didn't know what I was in the mood for.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Geena Davis, as a manic pixie dream girl before there was a name for it, is as good as I've ever seen her. It's hard not to like her in this. She almost doesn't belong next to all the subdued performances around her (but in a good way).

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Why is Geena Davis' character so drawn to William Hurt's? It's kind of the main thing driving the film and I don't get it, to the point that I wonder if I missed some key detail. He's a bit of a sad-sack loner and she comes custom built to get him out of his funk. It's a little too easy.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment