Thursday, January 8, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Bowfinger

The Pitch: A D-List director tries to shoot a movie with an A-List star without him realizing he's being filmed.

What Took Me So Long: I truly don't know. I've wanted to see this since I first saw the trailer for it well over a decade ago. It's been one of my most elusive movies to find.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) How else can I say "this is as Steve Martin a role as I can think of"? The lovable, optimistic, over-his head, oddly competent fool is his sweet spot and Bowfinger brings out all of my favorite things about him. This is also the kind of role Eddie Murphy loves playing (ridiculous dress up and being able to play an Action movie star? Come on. This role was written for him, wasn't it?). I love that Heather Graham is ridiculously attractive but her only concern has ever been "how can I still be funny?". Christine Baranski gets to shine in a pretty small role as does the rest of the cast. What really made this movie for me though was the end, when Bowfinger and the others go to the movie premiere. Ignored by the red carpet, shunned by the star of the movie, and given the worst seats in the house, they are still absolutely thrilled to see the movie playing on the big screen. Then, applause at the end. It would've fit the movie just as easily to have people jeer after watching the movie, but instead, it gives Bowfinger and co. their moment. It was surprisingly touching.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I can never tell when people are writing around Eddie Murphy's ego. He's game for just about anything, but I seriously wonder if the courting of Murphy for this movie was all that different than getting Kit Ramsey.

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment