Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Delayed Reaction: The Horse Whisperer

The Pitch: A woman tries to fix her life, her daughter, and her marriage, by fixing her horse.
What Took Me So Long: Look at that title. It's too laughable to take seriously.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) It's technically well made. There's a young Scarlett Johansson which is nice. I tend to forget that she was a child actor and think her career started with her butt shot in Lost in Translation...Um, there's some nature...and I mentioned Scar-Jo, right?

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I'm not sure where I am with Robert Redford as a director. I liked Quiz Show. I hated A River Runs Through It. I hated this movie too. That's 2-1 against him and I don't have the highest of hopes for the Legend of Baggar Vance or Lions for Lambs. Back to the point though, this was a lifeless movie that somehow stretched to nearly 3 hours. I've accepted that slow-paced romances set in the country or the wilderness (Bridges of Madison County, Out of Africa) are not aligned to my preferences. I do my best to be open-minded when watching movies, but if they can't sustain my interest while watching, there's not much hope for them. Also, it took way too long for me to realize that I wasn't watching Black Beauty. That's on me though.

Verdict (?): Strongly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment