Saturday, January 10, 2015

Weekly Basketball Picks: 1/10-1/16

 Not a proud week for my picks. Best not focus on it too much, especially considering that I'm certain to go 10-0 this week. Maybe.

Record 5-5 (Overall 61-24)
TCU over West Virginia - Looks like I stayed on that bandwagon one game too long.
Oklahoma over Baylor - The Big 12 is going to be very hard on a just not quite good enough Baylor team.
Virginia over Miami - I was right about the chance for this to be close and ultimately, the winner.
Standford over Washington - The Huskies are on an 0-3 run. Fire sale indeed.
Texas over Oklahoma - Well, it was an easy win, only not by the team I expected.
Indiana over Michigan St. - As I said, I never know when to buy or sell on these Hoosiers.
North Carolina over Notre Dame - Maybe Notre Dame is legit.
Villanova over St. Johns - The Johnnies badly need some depth.
Baylor over Kansas - Poor Baylor.
Louisiana Lafayette over Georgia St. - It looks like LoLa is the class of the Sunbelt.

Virginia at Notre Dame (Saturday)
Virginia has to lose eventually and have looked vulnerable against Miami and NC State. I'm not ready to anoint Notre Dame as a real threat yet. It will be another close one that I expect Virginia to come out of, record in tact.
Winner: Virginia

Louisville at North Carolina (Saturday)
I know what to expect from Louisville (stifling defense and inconsistent offense). UNC is the wild card here. They have the tools to handle Louisville in Chapel Hill. They need the motivation, and that's what makes this a coin flip.
Winner: Louisville

Iowa St. at West Virginia (Saturday)
Teams have been exposing Iowa St.'s weaknesses (See: Lack of size) lately and they don't look like the contenders I once thought they were. I assume they'll turn that around, but it won't happen on the road again Juwan Saten and the Mountaineers.
Winner: WVU

Kansas St. at Oklahoma (Saturday)
The Wildcats have been disappointing this season. Posting this game is just my way of saying that I'm done selling out Oklahoma.
Winner: Oklahoma

Ohio St. at Indiana (Saturday)
I'm doubling down on IU. That looked bad against Michigan St. but they play much differently at home. I think they'll trick Ohio St. into making this a scoring game and that's exactly what they want. Then again, it's Indiana, so the second I think I know what they're going to do, they do the opposite.
Winner: Indiana

Old Dominion at WKU (Saturday)
I like to fit one of these non-major conference games in every week. Old Dominion should run away with this, but I am stubborn about wanting the Hilltoppers to be better than they are this year. If they want to make a statement in their new conference, here's their best chance.
Winner: Old Dominion

Oklahama at West Virginia (Tuesday)
This'll be a lot easier to pick after Saturday, especially for WVU. Well, it's too late. I've announced that I'm a believer in the Sooners now and it helps that I don't totally trust the Mountaineers.
Winner: Oklahoma

Miami at Duke (Tuesday)
Almost beating Virginia at home is a while different beast than beating Duke on the road. Miami may keep things fun, but I don't see how this will ever be in doubt.
Winner: Duke

Xavier at Villanova (Wednesday)
Nova is talented, experienced, and balanced. Xavier is young, talents, and love chucking 3s.  At home, I'd give Xavier some real consideration.
Winner: Villanova

San Diego St. at Wyoming (Wednesday)
The Mountain West has been a bit of a disappointment so far. There are two things I do know to be true: 1) SDSU has no offense and 2) Wyoming is tough at home. As much as I'll be rooting for the Aztecs, I don't see it ending well for them.
Winner: Wyoming

No comments:

Post a Comment