Friday, January 23, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Three Fugitives

The Pitch: Nick Nolte is a bank robber who gets taken hostage during a bank robbery on the day he is let out of prison for robbing banks...Get it?
How I Came Into It: I knew Nick Nolte and Martin Short are the leads, so I had a good idea of what kind of comedic back and forth there would be. Beyond that, I saw a kid on the poster and that's about it.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Sometimes a premise is so gloriously ridiculous that the whole movie carries the subtext of "So what? It's just a dumb comedy". This is one of those. How else do you explain the last scene of the movie? (Which, by the way got the biggest laugh of the movie from me). Notle gets to play a different shade of "annoyed guy who knows what he's doing" from the character in 48 hours. Martin Short is completely incompetent in a physical, excessive way that only he could pull off.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Toward the middle, it did that thing that a lot of comedies do where it drops the jokes and tries to get plot-heavy. It sucked the air out of the whole thing.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment