Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Bird on a Wire

The Pitch: Mel Gibson reconnects with his old flame, played by Goldie Hawn. He's the kicker. He's been in Witness Protection for over a decade.
What Took Me So Long: Every time I saw this on my list, I thought it was Man on Wire and I wasn't in the mood for a documentary.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Remember when Mel Gibson was a likable leading man, not a punchline or anti-Semite? Those were good times. Remember when Goldie Hawn was still getting cast in movies? I'm more indifferent about that. This is a fun little movie. It fits nicely into the "normal person walks into an action movie and goes along for the ride" sub-genre (Other examples: Killers, Knight & Day).

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I just didn't find it funny. Perhaps amusing, but not funny. The story is understandably a stretch. None of the beats are particularly inspired. I'd have to think more of the movie to really figure out what I may have not liked about it.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment