Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Spy Kids

The Pitch: It's in the title. I think the only other thing in the pitch might've been "let's make them somewhat Latino" although I'm pretty sure  Robert Rodriguez made the pitch, so that much could've been assumed, given his collaborators.


What Took Me So Long: I worked backwards through the series for some reason and it was for the best, because that way they got better as I kept going.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) It's a family movie that doesn't make me feel stupid for watching it. Alexa Vega and Daryl Sabara are solid child leads and Rodriguez smartly filled the world with seasoned pros like Antonio Banderas, Carla Gugino, Alan Cumming, and Tony Shalhoub. If I was the right age when this one came out, then I wouldn't be embarrassed to have liked it.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Then again, I wasn't the right age, so it's not like it's become an instant favorite. It's also hard for me to separate it from the awful sequels that followed. If striking this movie from the record means there never would've been a Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over, I'd happily dispose of it.


Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment