Saturday, January 10, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Contraband

The Pitch: Mark Wahlberg is a former con-man, pulled back in for one last score, with a best friend who is double crossing him, and contraband that could fill a Mini Cooper. Oh, I'm sorry. This movie sounds familiar to some movie called The Italian Job? Never heard of it.

What Took Me So Long: I kind of assumed that when I was the only person in the theater when I saw a trailer for it who laughed at the Mini Cooper line that I probably wasn't the target audience.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Say what you will, but this is in Wahlberg's sweet spot. To be fair, I think he has more range than he's given credit for, but again, if you were to ask me what role you see him playing, "lead in an action thriller" is one of the first answers you're getting. They do a good job peppering action into a movie that's about moving a crate onto a boat and then off a boat. At this point, I'm always happy to see Ben Foster show up, simply because it means he's still working.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: How much of this movie takes place on a cargo freighter? Yeah, I can see why this was a January release, nearly a burn off. Also, I'm not sure how, in a post-Underworld world, you cast Kate Beckinsale in this movie and don't have her kick some ass of her own. More than anything, I have run out of patience for stories about a guy trying to stay on the straight and narrow being dragged back in because a family member thinks he's Batman and gets in deep with the wrong people. There's got to be some other shades to that story by now.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment