Friday, January 16, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Chronicle

The Pitch: Let's make a found footage movie about a super hero origin.
What Took Me So Long: It had too much potential to fail when I first heard about it. Found footage works best for horror because the lack of explanation adds to the effect. In something like this, it's harder to make up for the gaps in the story.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I really like Michael B. Jordan (and was sad to see he didn't make it through the whole movie). Dane DeHaan is an interesting actor to follow too. I like how he began as the main character since he ends up being the antagonist. Having super powers be like a muscle is a cool idea that I'm surprised I haven't seen used before. Overall, it's a clever movie with good casting and an interesting story to tell.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: While the found footage element is a lot of what makes this special it is also majorly holding it back. This is most apparent in the climactic fight which is impossible to do well with the limitations. They work around it as best they can, but the lack of score, closeups, or any other traditional filming choices left me feeling empty when it was all said and done.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment