Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Hot Shots!

The Pitch: Let's make Airplane for movies like Top Gun.

What Took Me So Long: Charlie Sheen + a distaste of this style of parody.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) If nothing else, this kind of movie is a pop culture time capsule. Just seeing what they go after (Top Gun, 9 1/2 Weeks, etc.) or what tropes are poked at (loose cannon, everyone's histories being coincidentally intertwined, etc.). I could've told you when this came out simply by the nature of the jokes.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I've long had the opinion that to effectively parody something, there must first be a love of the material. That's what makes the Mel Brooks movies [normally] so great. He genuinely respects westerns or horror movies. All I got from Hot Shots was a sense of disdain for Top Gun and movies of its ilk. I got less of a sense that the story was refined over time as much as the writer(s) looked for each place another joke, no matter how small, could be inserted into each draft. It's staggering how short this is (<90 minutes) and definitely a reminder of a generation of comedy movies I'm glad I didn't have to put up with at the time.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment