Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Hocus Pocus

The Pitch: Three sister witches. New England setting. Talking cats. Curses. Flying vacuums...Disney!
What Took Me So Long: I guarantee that I saw this when I was young, but I have no recollection of it at all.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) This is a fun movie. Bette Middler, Kathy Najimy, and Sarah Jessica Parker are all having a blast with the roles. Parker in particular impressed me with all the small quirks of her character. It's kind of hard to believe that Thora Birch was only six years away from her work in American Beauty. Puberty is quite a thing. 

Why I Wish I Hadn't: This is clearly in the category of movies that I needed to appreciate before I was twelve to fully appreciate it now. I liked it even though I don't now have the desire to watch it every October or stop on it whenever I'm flipping through the channels*.

*To be fair, I don't know the last time I "flipped through the channels". That's not how I watch TV anymore.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment