Saturday, January 10, 2015

Deleyed Reaction: The Family Stone

The Pitch: What if your fiance's family really was out to get you?
What Took Me So Long: Look, I simply don't like Sarah Jessica Parker. I don't have a good reason. I just don't.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I do like Rachel McAdams, Craig T. Nelson, Diane Keaton, Luke Wilson, and Claire Danes though. I was impressed by the effort the movie puts in to make every character potentially unlikable. I mean, it made me briefly dislike Rachel McAdams. I didn't even dislike Rachel McAdams in Mean Girls. It's a very balanced movie. For each time that Parker's character is being unfairly mistreated, it follows up with an accidental anti-gay rant or something.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: That ending's a little quaint, don't you think? For how much the movie embraces showing peoples' imperfections and challenging the audience to like the characters, it sure comes together in the way only a Hollywood movie could. Parker switches brothers to be in love with and Mulroney falls for her sister in under 24 hours? Sure, Diane Keaton dies during the time jump, but I have a hard time seeing how the rest of the ending plays out so smoothly.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment