Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

The Pitch: Ang Lee wants to do a Chinese martial arts movie.
What Took Me So Long: Subtitles, man. They scare me away. It's so rare that I'm only watching a movie when one is on, that I need to strategize a time to read a movie.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) It's as visually distinctive a movie as you will find (stateside, at least). It was a phenomenon when it came out and further solidified that Ang Lee is one of the most versatile directors around. The choreography of the fights is impressive. Chow Yun-Fat and Michelle Yeoh are two of the first Chinese actors I could name (after Jackie Chan), so I'm going to call that good casting.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I wouldn't be the first person to point out the creep factor of Ziyi Zhang's character falling in love with the guy who took her prisoner. That doesn't sit well. Beyond that, it's an ok movie, but I'm not sure why it was such a big hit, and a long stewing one at that (It was in the top 10 every weekend for three months, never went about #4, and ultimately made >$120 million).

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment