Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Fahrenheit 9/11

The Pitch: I really hate George Bush. I don't think it would be very hard to make him look bad.
What Took Me So Long: This was pretty much Zeitgeist: The Movie and I didn't even want to see it then.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Would you believe that until The Hunger Games, this was Lionsgate's highest grossing movie? That's unbelievable. The further removed from the Bush administration we are, the harder it is to remember how much people hated him.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It's like getting into an argument with a drunk guy who really knows his stuff. There's a lot of angles to attacking the Bush presidency and Michael Moore chooses all of them and not in a particularly disciplined fashion. Bush is both a complete idiot and also masterminding the manipulation of the American people. The people fighting in Iraq are both honorable kids who's lives are being senselessly lost and murderous savages listening to death metal as they mow down defenseless Iraqis. I think I get annoyed whenever I'm watching something where the conclusion was written first, then the research was done. Clearly Michael Moore hated Bush before he was even elected. He didn't go into this thinking "let's look at the Bush presidency" or "why did we get into the war?" or "how has the world changed since 9/11?". The only question is "how can I make Bush look bad?", which isn't all that interesting, no matter how correct it may be.

Verdict (?): Strongly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment