Friday, January 30, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Spawn

The Pitch: Might as well get full cultural saturation with the Spawn brand.
How I Came Into It: Visually, I'm familiar with Spawn. I always thought the character looked cool. I've never heard a positive thing said about this movie, so I can't say I came into this favorably. In terms of what it was about though, I was a blank slate.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) It's an interesting idea and I got the feeling that a lot was lost by watching a version edited for TV. With a director that I knew better or a cast that I trusted, I'd wonder if this was trying to be tongue and cheek.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: No, I think this movie took itself fairly seriously, other than John Leguezamo who is playing perhaps the toughest villain to pull off in the last two decades. Seriously, was the direction just "you do what you want with that character. We'll play around you."? The effects do not age well at all either. This looks like a B-movie and everyone in it acts like they are in one. Again, I admit that this would benefit more than most movies with an unedited viewing, but even its potential ceiling isn't high enough to bother.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment