Monday, January 12, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

The Pitch: Add the words "time travel" and the title is a sufficient pitch, isn't it?
What Took Me So Long: Truth be told, I've probably seen this at some point and either forgot or confused a lot of clips from the sequel. It's new enough to me though that I feel comfortable calling this a reaction rather than thoughts that have been stewing for years.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) It's a pop culture touchstone. No discussion of movies in the 80s is complete without at least mentioning it. And, you know what? It holds up pretty well. Stoner humor doesn't have to be nuanced and subtle, so this plays nearly as well now as it would two decades ago. Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter are perfect for the roles and I've accepted that George Carlin in the role of a guide of any sort is the best use of him.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Nope. Can't do it. I enjoyed it too much. This is the movie that Dude, Where's My Car wanted to be and I can't pin down what it is about the one that plays so much better than the other.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment