Thursday, January 29, 2015

Delayed Reaction: The Interpreter

The Pitch: Let's play a game called "how many languages can an audience casually detect and understand?".
How I Came Into It: Gun to my head, if you asked me what the difference was between this or The Negotiator or Derail before I saw this, I couldn't tell you (Wait, so none of them had Julia Roberts? Oh, that was The Pelican Brief). This belongs to a genre that only differentiates itself in the extreme outliers.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) It kept me guessing until the end, and that would be an ideal blurb for the back of the DVD. In that sense, mission accomplished. Both Nicole Kidman and Sean Penn are good enough actors to make it work and all look believable.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Part of why it kept me guessing is because it kept me disinterested. She overhears a plot to assassinate some guy. No one believes her, and then they do, and then they don't trust her, and then they do, and then she turns out to be up to something herself, and then they forgive her. And that's dropping a few of the beats along the way. It's terribly familiar stuff to anyone who is a fan of this kind of movie.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment