Saturday, January 3, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Barbershop

The Pitch: A movie about a day at a barbershop. Why does it have to be more complex than that?

What Took Me So Long: "Starring Ice Cube" is not a great opener for me.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I really like the easy atmosphere of this. There's a collection of stories, loosely intertwined. The plot never gets too heavy and the comedy switches from conversational, to slapstick, to...well, basically just those two and that's enough. It's simply not a perspective you see enough in movies and it doesn't get too preachy with the opportunity. A better way to say that: the movie is fun.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I mean, there was nothing that made me laugh out loud. For a movie that isn't concerned with much else than joking around, that's a little disappointing. This could equally be tied to the comedy simply not clicking with me. I know this much. I'm looking forward to catching the sequel a lot more than I was going into this movie.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment