Thursday, January 22, 2015

DVR Purge: 1/20-1/21

Caught up just in time for a little midweek purge, mostly necessitated because I went on way too long about this week's Parks and Rec.

Past Purges 


Parks and Recreation "William Henry Harrison; Ron and Leslie"
These two episodes were deemed so complimentary to one another that my DVR didn't even bother calling them two episodes, just a single hour block of TV. While they couldn't be more different as episodes they work together perfectly.
"William Henry Harrison" is a standard Parks and Rec. episode. The whole ensemble is in full swing. Donna and Tom are working on the Grizzyl project with Ron, more driven by victory than his principles. That gave us things like the "Somebody's Daughters Dancers" and Annabel Porter's beef milk. April and Andy are supposedly helping Leslie, but when does Leslie ever need help on a task like this? Really, they're looking for April's new job. This is the second episode (or maybe third. These blocks make it hard to remember) this season focusing on her looking for a job. I hope that means they are building to something great. I love the stealthy good pairing of Ben and Jerry Gerry Larry Terry (I give up). When was the last time Jim O'heir got to riff like he did in the car?
It is worth noting that Harrison is the first thing in a while that they've focused on as a sort of public shame that's an Indiana thing, not a made-up Pawnee thing. I don't have much else to say about that, other than it led to the "If he's worn a coat" room, so I approve of it.
That was all preamble though to the one line that matters: "You're not that good at scrapbooking." That's when you know there's a problem. The rift between Leslie and Ron has gone too far, something must be done, and that something is a bottle episode.
I'm still digesting "Ron and Leslie" but I can safely say this: I'm looking for a space for it in my top ten list. Ron and Leslie are the backbone of the series and their relationship second only to Jack and Liz's on 30 Rock. This was as lovely an episode for the two of them as I could ever hope for. The Morningstar explanation was perfectly fitting. Both characters went from blindly stubborn to similarly at fault to making up beautifully. Them cleaning the office to Woody Nelson's "Buddy" was the closest I came to tearing up since Ann and Chris left. And, the end, with them going to JJ's Diner, again bonding over a love of breakfast food is one of the best endings to an episode on a show that's pretty damn great at ending episodes.
I didn't even get to the jokes. Only two characters should be limiting, but when those two actors are Amy Poehler and Nick Offerman, it's not. Ron covered in Post It notes, Leslie revealing that she caused the temporary shut down of Food n' Stuff, Leslie making up the lyrics to "We Didn't Start the Fire (I need to see EVERY outtake of that), and of course, the claymore. Oh, and the saxophone fart. So much funny!
I am so excited to see what they have in store next for what has been so far a superb victory lap final season.

Cougar Town "To Find a Friend"
Recording problems. I assume it was filled with new baby hijinks though and, is Bobby already gone?

Arrow "Left Behind"
It's just so hard to get worked up about Oliver being dead when you know he's not. Emily Bett Rickards did a great job selling it though. I am enjoying seeing how the group tries to manage without the Arrow before he returns.

No comments:

Post a Comment