Sunday, January 4, 2015

Delayed Reaction: A River Runs Through It

The Pitch: I'm Robert Redford and I can convince a studio to green-light any project I want, no matter how dull.

What Took Me So Long: I thought it was Legends of the Fall for a long time. And who could blame me? Period piece about a father and two sons living in rural wilderness. Starring Brad Pitt. Hell, Pitt even dates a Native American girl in both.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I'm a Brad Pitt fan and it's fun to track his development over time. Other than that, the only positive I can find is that it didn't decide to be ungodly long too to go along with being insufferably boring.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: So many things. I've grown to dislike a narrator in this kind of movie. I get it. The movie is based on some memoirs. At some point, Redford's narration shouldn't be the only thing holding scenes together. Show, don't tell. Beyond that, this is such a dull story. The IMDB description of it is "Two fly-fishing sons of a Presbyterian minister--one reserved, one rebellious--grow up in rural Montana." and I can assure you there's not more to it than that. I suppose that if you love fly fishing, there's some things to enjoy...no. Even that is underfed. I don't understand who thought this movie was a good idea.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment