Sunday, March 23, 2014

Delayed Reaction: The Woman in Black

The Pitch: Making a scary movie isn't hard. Always make it night, have some kids doing some creepy things, and hire a retired wizard.

What Took Me So Long: I like scary movies when it looks like there is something special. This didn't look special.

Why I Saw It: I like Daniel Radcliffe and I'm interested in his steps to move on from Harry Potter. I fully believe it will work because talent can normally overcome. He is a strong enough lead in this. The movie has all the things it needs for a scary movie. It's dark and has a spooky atmosphere. It's an interesting twist to actually have children killing themselves. Most movies like the scary kids, but minimize actual violence to them. This does not.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I didn't like Radcliffe as the lead of this. It's not his fault other than he didn't seem old enough. I suppose a very early 20s widower is probably more true to those times but I don't buy him in a father and business man role. Beyond that, this is a little generic. While the movie is spooky, there are few, if any, genuine scares.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment