Wednesday, March 26, 2014

DVR Purge: 3/20-3/25

A kind of light-ish week with a surprise finale. Ok, not a surprise finale, but I didn't pay attention and then, hey, the Brooklyn Nine Nine season is done. What up with that.


Past Purges

Community "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons"
David Cross is a really good actor to shake things up with the cast. He plays a lovable asshole well. I love when he challenges Abed, prompting Abed to pull out an extended binder for the quest. I don't know much about D&D, but that seems like a lot for a quest. No one even fights the Dean being there because, well, what's the point. Buzz interrogating Abed as the two hobgoblins has to be the highlight of the episode though. Seriously folks, get that man an Emmy, or a nomination at the very least.

Parks and Recreation "Galentine's Day 2014"
I'm a sucker for any time they want to bring up Friday Night Lights. And, it brought back Alison Becker as Shauna Malwae-Tweep who looks increasingly like a perfect match for Stuart from Big Bang Theory (inviting a crossover episode I'd happily watch). Ron and Andy is still one of the best pairings the show has. And, it's nice that the show is finally looping back around to being a little nicer to Jerry Gary Larry, even if it's only Ben.

Parenthood "The Offer"
No kidding, I shed a few tears this week (literally, not "Oh, this episode got to me" I was wiping my eyes on my sleeve). What a fantastic reminder of how good Max Burkholder can be (and Monica Potter and Peter Krause with the assist).
Let's do a quick recap of who's side I'm on in other parts of the show:
Drew and Natalie: Natalie. She's been upfront with him. He's been inconsistent and is playing a guitar and writing songs. Could he be more in college?
Julia and Joel: Julia. Joel has been in the wrong for weeks.
Zeek, Camille, and the House: The house. They came to terms with moving out already. No need to get sentimental all of the sudden.
Hank and Sarah: Hank. She's keeping him as a safety net.
Crosby and Jasmin. Jasmin. They haven't even been fighting but something's probably his fault.

Hannibal "Takiawase"
I'm going to miss Beverly Katz.

The Walking Dead "Us"
A much busier episode than we've had in the past couple weeks. That's for the best because the story really needed to move forward eventually. I'm not in the "Glenn and Maggie are soulmates. Oh, woe as me. They are separated" camp but I do find them both to be more interesting when together than apart, so this was a happy reunion. I'm still not sure what to make of Abraham, Eugene, and Rosita. They could be Walker-fodder or compelling characters. Only time will tell. Joe and his merry band of misfits are more interesting. If the show is smart and patient then there won't be a throw down with them until next season. I find it interesting to see how Darryl is realizing how much he's changed. Had he found them a few seasons ago, he could easily have been one of them. Now, he's changed. He's still rough like them, but not as brutal. I hope Stockholm Syndrome doesn't kick into gear too much or too quickly with him.

How I Met Your Mother "The End of the Aisle"
Mother: Quick scene. Funny scene. Valuable scene.
Call Backs: Slap Bet, even if it did feel like an after thought (kind of the best way to end it actually), and a lot of comparisons to Marshall and Lilly's wedding. Oh, and the Ring Bear. Not my favorite running joke, but I'm glad they followed through with it.
Genuine Emotion: Lilly and Marshall's renewed vows were sweet. Barney's vows to Robin we a band-aid for the fact that he's done nothing but lie to her. There's no way to retroactively fix everything that is wrong with the show but this is the closest they can do at this point.
My hopes that these final episodes would be a victory lap or some magical return to form have proven to be unfounded. Given that, I'm ok with "slightly above average".

Edit: Archer "Archer Vice: On the Carpet"
If you ever needed proof that Archer is getting a raw deal by me, here you go. I completely forgot to write anything about this initially. Quick thoughts: Christian Slater was wonderful. It's been fascinating seeing the variety of ways they've gone through the cocaine. Uhhh, that's all I can remember. Sorry. Next week, I promise to have fitting thoughts.

New Girl "Mars Landing"
First of all, fuck you Fox for messing with start times of episodes. DVR isn't going away so get your shit together and let your shows start at the right time. Now that that's out of the way, I'm increasingly fascinated to learn all the rules to True American. The writer's room has to have a loose rulebook for this (much like I assume there is for the Cones of Dunshire). The show has gone too deep down the Jess/Nick rabbit-hole to go back now. They navigated bringing them together well, which is probably the easiest stage. They've stumbled through them being a couple, which is normally the hardest. I really hope they aren't setting us up for a long breakup, which is the most frustrating stage. I can only hope this is a speedbump and we can move into a Leslie/Ben, Andy/April, Jim/Pam, Liz/Kriss, Marshall/Lily (see, it's not that hard to do) stage with them where they are a couple but that doesn't define both characters.

Brooklyn Nine Nine "Charges and Specs"
I'm having a hard time believing the whole season has gone by already. I'll try to put together some final thoughts on the season as a whole soon. As for the finale, that was well done. It dealt with the season long story arcs of Paralta and Holt as well as Santiago, even Boyle and Diaz, while still leaving room to grow. Basically everyone in the cast that matters got a moment or two to shine. Peralta's undercover assignment works as the bridge from this season to the next. I'm sad that isn't going to be 5 or 6 months until I see this again, but it's a good way to go.

Cougar Town "Love is a Long Road"
God help me, I think I've tired of Cougar Town. Had it not been for the wrestler fight at the end, there wouldn't be anything I particularly liked that happened. I'm not sure if it has aged too much or if the TBS effect is but I increasingly enjoy the show the way I could a Seinfeld rerun I've seen a dozen times. Maybe it's just a weak season.

No comments:

Post a Comment