Friday, March 28, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Dredd

The Pitch: Do you remember Judge Dredd? It doesn't matter. Do you like to see things blow up in a highly stylized fashion? Good.

What Took Me So Long: I missed my chance to see it in theaters primarily because I had no desire to pay 3D premiums.

Why I Saw It: What it looked like was exactly what I was in the mood to watch. It is a shoot em up without any pretense of higher aspirations. You basically have badass, totally not Bones, in a helmet, Judge (Dredd) and hot, totally not Juno's best friend in a helmet Judge (I'm not looking up the name but it wasn't as cool as Dredd) fighting a wacked-out Cersei Lannister and her cronies. There's a certain cross-section of people out there built for this. All the money clearly went into the action sequences which is what you'd hope for with a movie like this.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Well, all the money clearly went into the action sequences, so I wouldn't call the story terribly engaging, the acting at all nuanced, or the style very original. The movie was overlooked when it came out and I can see why but I also understand why the people who like it stand by that strongly.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment