Wednesday, March 5, 2014

March Preview

Oscar season is finally over and the studios are back to releasing movies en masse. After a painfully weak February, March is looking to be as strong as ever. There's a lost of potentially big hits this month, which means some are likely to underachieve. Thankfully, from a qualitative standpoint, it's looking pretty good.

2014

2013


3/7

The Lock: None
A lot of strong contenders but none that come with a mandate.

Other Options:

300: Rise of an Empire - Lord help me. This sequel looks like the front-runner to start off my March at the movies. My opinion of the original movie has fluctuated greatly over the past eight years. Eva Green looking like she is going for broke with her performance as well as the promise of some carnage that can be appreciated on the big screen will probably tip me toward it.
Odds I'll See It: 61%


Mr. Peabody & Sherman - Ty Burrell as the voice of Mr. Peabody sounds brilliant. This has a few things working against it for me though: 1) A lot of kids in those audiences. 2) I'm not all that familiar with Mr. Peabody & Sherman to begin with. 3) Dreamworks really isn't one of my favorite animation studios. It's still in the running although that's mainly reliant on getting some fantastic reviews.
Odds I'll See It: 25%


The Grand Budapest Hotel - To be honest, I'm not a Wes Anderson fan. He's certainly a unique filmmaker. I can never take that away from him. The preview looks funny and Ralph Fiennes will probably put up one hell of a performance. But, I have very little pull to see this on my own.
Odds I'll See It: 8%

3/14
The Lock: None

Other Options:

Need for Speed - I like to think of this as a Jesse sequel to Breaking Bad. I'd love to see Aaron Paul succeed. In fact, he is the ONLY reason I'm considering this movie as much as I am.
Odds I'll See It: 42%

Veronica Mars - This is all dependent on two things: availability and if I can catch up on it. I'm not sure how wide the release is going to be. If I have to travel to see it. That could hurt. Also, I'm blasting through it as much as I can right now but I'm still only on season one. I don't want to deprive myself on what is truly "one for the fans" by not being caught up, so that is limiting its odds as well.
Odds I'll See It: 30%


Bad Words - It looks funny. This Jason Bateman starring and directed comedy about a grown man who gets to the national spelling bee on a technicality would've been nearly a lock in February. March is looking too crowded though for what could be a mess of a movie.
Odds I'll See It: 11%


Enemy - Jake Gyllenhaal and his director in Prisoners. That's all I know about it. This will probably be a worth-while watch, one that I see in three years and say" how did I miss that?" but it has low buzz and is in the middle of a clogged schedule. Not much chance here.
Odds I'll See It: 3%


Tyler Perry's The Single Mom's Club - You had me at "Tyler Perry's". I've softened by stance on his movies. That doesn't mean I'm going out of my way for them. I can't even imagine seeing this on Netflix. Movie Theater is slim to none.
Odds I'll See It: <1%

3/21
The Lock: Muppets Most Wanted
Finally, something I know that I'm going to see. Tina Fey, Ty Burrell, Loki, Muppets, endless cameos. The only thing working against it is the lack of Jason Segel who's contributions to the first movie have been somewhat underrated.
Odds I'll See It: 86%

Other Options:

Divergent - I like Shailene Woodley. Apparently Kate Winslet is also on board for this. That's some good stuff right there. I'm yet to find anything about this that makes it appreciably different from the other Young Adult movies like The Mortal Instruments or Beautiful Creatures. In short, until it becomes the next Hunger Games, I'm selling on this.
Odds I'll See It: 29%

Blood Ties - Of the generic genres, generic crime dramas are probably the most disposable. The only thing I see interesting about this is the cast (Billy Crudup, Clive Owen, Marion Cotillard, Mila Kunis). Beyond that, the whole "brothers on different sides of the law" story looks unremarkable. I'd be happy to eventually see it if I hear otherwise, but the burden is on the word-of-mouth, not me.
Odd I'll See It: 4%

Nymphomaniac: Volume I - This is one that I'd only consider seeing due to the buzz about it. Otherwise, I'm not huge on Lars von Trier or Shia Labeouf so there's little pulling me to see this.
Odds I'll See It: 1%

3/28
The Lock: None

Other Options:
Noah -It's really between this and Divergent for this weekend. I'm hesitant to move this into a lock because it has all the makings of a boom or bust movie. I can't argue with that cast though: Russell Crowe, Jennifer Connelly, Emma Watson. Telling the story of Noah from the same guy that gave us Requiem For a Dream and Black Swan, no less. This could get weird and dark and the more I'm talking, the more I realize there's not much chance I miss this.
Odds I'll See It: 65%

The Raid 2 - Step 1: See The Raid. Step 2: Wait for it to expand where I can see it. Step 3: Find a non-crowded (as in, lineup) weekend. The difficulty of any of those steps determines this. My understanding is that this is an insane action flick and it sounds like it's worth seeing.
Odds I'll See It: 21%

Sabotage - This Arnold Schwarzenegger action flick, like most of his work since coming out of "retirement" looks only slightly better than a straight to DVD release and it would have to have some remarkable reviews for me to even think about it again after I write this. Then again, it is from the director of End of Watch, so I'd love to be surprised.
Odds I'll See It: 2%

Cesar Chavez - Wait, is there anyone who actually likes this guy? Are they trying to give him the Mandela treatment? The shame here is that I really want to show Michael Pena some support but this is not the movie to do it.
Odds I'll See It: 1%

No comments:

Post a Comment