Sunday, March 16, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Tyler Perry's Madea's Witness Protection

The Pitch: What if white people lived with Madea?

What Took Me So Long: I've had a long standing, perhaps even blind hatred of the Tyler Perry movies that I really need to grow up and get over.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) This was better than I expected. That statement certainly benefits from having the lowest possible expectations. That make it no less true however. I think this being more explicitly a comedy than some other TP movies works in its favor. It's basically a perfect strangers comedy with some race humor. Most of it is very broad. Having Eugene Levy nearly offsets also having Denise Richards. And is that lil' Romeo?

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I appreciate that it avoids the more dramatic elements of TP movies that bug me, but that still leaves a comedy that isn't funny. Any of the chuckles I got was from the pros like Doris Roberts and Levy who can be funny without saying a word. Then there's the fact that I barely even registered that the climax of the movie was happening. I don't know what I was expecting but the little bit of corporate espionage went way smoother than I expected for a comedy. All in all, I'm not as afraid to see a TP movie as I was before.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment