Saturday, March 15, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Jack and Jill

The Pitch: Adam Sandler crossdressing is certain to be funny.
I feel for you kid

What Took Me So Long: I don't want to dislike Adam Sandler movies, but he hasn't been aging into them well and this is a prime example.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) After something has been a punchline for long enough, it's nice to find out why firsthand. In terms of awful movies, I wouldn't call this anything special. Crossdressing Sandler either tickles you or it doesn't. They shoot both Sandler and girl Sandler on the screen at the same time as well as anything else that's tried it. There's even a pretty decent message about family and being proud of who you are that works for a "family film".

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I can't decide if Adam Sandler has been making more family comedies because he sincerely wants to make things his kids can watch or if he's been cornered into that market since he is past his Billy Madison/Happy Gilmore man-child days. You don't need me to tell you this movie doesn't work. This is certainly the wrong direction to go from Bedtime Stories. He has obviously been spending the past few years trying out some oddball projects like this or Zohan. Thankfully, his years of continued success afford him the chances to experiment like this, because I fully believe he still has some more good comedies in him and I think they will come from a non-traditional comedy because that's his style. Honestly, even Zohan is better than people give it credit for and Click isn't so bad. I've got nothing so say about Jack and Jill though. I hope he got this out of his system. Now that That's My Boy has shown him another direction not to go and Grown Ups 2 counts as another hit to get his confidence back up, I'm curious to see what's next for him.

Verdict (?): Strongly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment