Saturday, March 22, 2014

Delayed Reaction: The Last Airbender

The Pitch: We're going to make Avatar into a movie...Seriously? James Cameron already took... Made how much?!...No, we're going to make The Last Airbender into a movie.

What Took Me So Long: M. Night Shyamalan writing anything is not something that excites me these days.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I stand by my stance that this had one of the cooler initial trailers of the past few years. I'm not a fan of the show. It was recommended to me a lot, but I never got around to watching it. For the movie, I figured that at least protected me from the unfair comparisons to the series. As a nuts and bolts director, Shyamalan did fine with the movie.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I had no idea what was going on! There's something about fire, water, air, and earthbenders or something. Bad guys use fire because it looks more even. Aang is the last airbender which is really special for some reason. He comes from a different time or is reborn every so often, I think. This movie lost my interest numerous times while watching it. I don't even have the "I was drunk" excuse for my lack of watching comprehension. I flat out didn't care, wasn't engaged, and don't mind. The hyperbolics about how bad the movie is is unfair. That doesn't mean it is anything close to good though. I wonder if at least watching the show would've saved me from some of my issue with the movie because the world as it is presented in this is extremely unengaging.

Verdict (?): Strongly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment