Monday, March 24, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Slap Shot

The Pitch: Bad News Bears for adults.

What Took Me So Long: I'm not a big hockey fan and I always forget that liking the sport on question is not a reflection of if I will enjoy a sports movie or not.

Why I Saw It: It's funny because this movie is basically H. E. Double Hockey Sticks without the deal with the devil stuff. Paul Newman is as charming as ever in this. The comedy is somewhere between extremely adult and extremely juvenile and it works pretty well. It basically follows the exact template of any underdog sports movie. I haven't gone further back in this genre, so I don't know if this is the one that established the beats or perfected them.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: The only problem I have with this is that the specific comedic voice is not one that I prefer. It goes for all the easy jokes and, by now, I know all of them.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment