Thursday, April 3, 2014

April Movie Preview

Somehow, a quiet March came and went and one of my few locks, Muppets Most Wanted went unviewed by me, which goes to show I am getting too soft with my locks. Not a problem this month. April starts off with the only movie I absolute must see. And, let me say, it is one that I'm very excited about.

2014

2013


4/4
The Lock: Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Marvel movies are priority viewing by now for someone who sees movies as often as I do and this looks like the best "Phase 2" movie yet for them. I was pleasantly surprised by the first Captain America and find myself liking Chris Evans more and more. I'm very curious how it will do with this April release because this could cement Summer blockbuster season starting a month earlier for years to come if it can put up Iron Man numbers rather than Thor numbers.
Odds I'll See It: 97%


Other Options:

Under the Skin [Limited] - I should probably make this clear. I'll be seeing this. It's just a matter of when. Scarlett Johansson as a creepy sexy alien. I'm already sold. Seriously though, I've heard this movie is grim.
Odds I'll See It: 39%



Dom Hemmingway - Jude Law is the only reason to even mention this for me. This sounds like Carlito's Way except about a safe cracker. Too much potential for this to be bad.
Odds I'll See It: 6%

Alan Patridge - I like Steve Coogan but I'm not anglophile enough to be familiar with this character. I'll for forced to pass on this, I imagine.
Odds I'll See It: 4%

Nymphomaniac: Vol. II - I didn't see the first and it's not like I even had the opportunity. Buzz hasn't carried over to profits in the box office, so maybe I'll get my chance when it comes to Netflix.
Odds I'll See It: 2%



Island of Lemurs: Madagascar - It's a documentary about Lemurs. Do I need to explain why I won't be seeing this?
Odds I'll See It: 1%


Afflicted - Found footage horror movie about someone getting afflicted by a mysterious disease. I'm gonna need to know a little more before I consider watching this generic premise.
Odds I'll See It: 1%

4/11

The Lock: As I said, I'm officially tightening down on this distinction.

Other Options:

Oculus - 1) I'm curious to see Karen Gillan in a non-Dr. Who context. 2) I heard good things about this horror movie that has something to do with mirrors coming out of Sundance (I think that's when I heard about it). 3) I'm growing to really enjoy matinee showings of horror movies.
Odds I'll See It: 32%


Rio 2 - Well, I saw the first movie and it wasn't that bad. I like to see anything with Anne Hathaway in it as a rule but it is only her voice and there will be children in the theater. That's what we call a major deterrent.
Odds I'll See It: 25%


Draft Day - Part of me is extremely curious to see how they can make an entire movie out of an NFL Draft Day. Kevin Costner should be given the benefit of the doubt by now with sports movies but this looks like too much of a misfire to overcome.
Odds I'll See It: 11%


Cuban Fury - Ooo, Rashida Jones, Chris O'Dowd, and Nick Frost in what looks like a generic romantic comedy. Here's the thing. None of these people are actors I trust as leads yet, so the is Netflix fodder until proven otherwise.
Odds I'll See It: 8%


Only Lovers Left Alive - Loki, the White Witch, and Alice (of Wonderland fame) in a vampire movie. Other than being a little confused by Mia Wasikowska being in another movie like this after last year's Stoker, there's not much about this that I care to follow up on.
Odds I'll See It: 4%


The Railway Man - This movie looks like it was filmed 15 years ago, put in storage and is now being released. It's some sort of WWII revenge movie that would've been an awards contender the same year as The English Patient. It does have Colin Firth in it. That's enough for some people.
Odds I'll See It: 3%


Joe - So, this isn't Mud? Are we sure? Look at it again. Are we still sure?
Odds I'll See It: 2%

4/18
The Lock: Still None

Other Options:

Transcendence - God help me, I may have to see this. It looks like Eagle-Eye if the computer was the star of the movie instead of Shia LaBoeuf. Kate Mara looks like the female Wikileaks guy and Johnny Depp, well, he's officially lost all his draw power with this one.
Odds I'll See It: 22%


Heaven is for Real - I spent the whole time I saw this preview thinking it was The Five People You Meet in Heaven (obviously, I don't know anything about either). Regardless, a movie about a kid who sees people in heaven promises to have wishy-washy ending that I have no desire to see.
Odds I'll See It: 11%


Fading Gigolo - Woody Allen acting again, only acting. That curiosity is nearly enough to sell me on it. It's also John Turturro's directorial debut and the movie sounds like a less broad version of Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo. So, that's damning.
Odds I'll See It: 7%


A Haunted House 2 - I never even considered seeing the first of what is basically this Scary Movie reboot series. The second looks even less appealing.
Odds I'll See It: 2%


Bears - What the hell is up with all these documentaries about animals? March of the Penguins was popular, like, a decade ago. Why's the bandwagon taken this long?
Odds I'll See It: 2%

4/25
The Lock: Nope. Nothing strong enough.

Other Options:

The Other Woman - Comedy with three attractive blondes, two completely proven comedic talents (Cameron Diaz and Leslie Mann), the other a Victoria Secret model (Kate Upton). This is one of the movies that has little chance to be great but just as little chance of being horrible. In short, I know what I'm going to get: Think, The Sweetest Thing.
Odds I'll See It: 57%


The Quiet Ones - Generic horror movie starring people I recognize but couldn't name.
Odds I'll See It: 13%


Brick Mansions - As fascinating as it is to watch a movie released after an actor dies, I have no strong desire to see this Paul Walker movie, which, based on the trailer, looks to mostly be about David Belle doing parkour.
Odds I'll See It: 4%


Locke - I do like me some Tom Hardy. That's all this has going for it. Otherwise, it sounds a lot like Getaway meets The Call.
Odds I'll See It: 1%


For No Good Reason - Another documentary? When did this start getting popular? Ok, popular implies box office success. This one about Ralph Steadman has Johnny Depp's name attached to it. That got it into theaters in some form. That won't be enough to get people into those theaters though.
Odds I'll See It: 1%

No comments:

Post a Comment