Saturday, April 19, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Billy Elliot

The Pitch: A story about a boy, who just wants to dance.

What Took Me So Long: I always assumed this was one of those movies like Babe: it is a much better than the tagline would suggest.

Why I Saw It: I'm always curious to see what movies from overseas hit big over in the US. I'm yet to find a pattern, which may, in fact be the defining characteristic: they tend to be wholly original in concept and execution. The Full Monty, The Crying Game, and Billy Elliot, for example, aren't like many movies I can think of. In Billy Ellot's case, I'm not completely sure what struck a chord as it did. Jamie Bell as Billy does fine work, as do the rest of the cast, who I couldn't name another movie any of them are in. There's a great message about accepting who you are and finding strength in that. The dancing is fairly impressive.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I could not tell you why this movie did so well either critically or in the box office. It couldn't all be because of the "It's a boy doing ballet" stuff, can it? And, how seriously are we supposed to take the scene when he is so angry that he has to dance away his anger? See, for me, that was a deal breaker and I think that is what probably sold it for a lot of fans. Of the nearly 2000 movies I've seen in my life, I feel like I said this about 1900 times, but I don't get it*,

*Occasionally, I do get it. For example, there's no subtext to Harold & Kumar 3. Christmas + Pot + 3-D. In fact, I think that last two should probably be bracketed together).

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment