Friday, April 18, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Roman Holiday

The Pitch: Audrey Hepburn is a princess on the run from her responsibilities and Gregory Peck is a conflicted reporter who falls for her.

What Took Me So Long: Look, I've seen Chasing Liberty. This movie has been done many times since. I wasn't in a hurry to see patient zero.

Why I Saw It: Audrey Hepburn is every bit as appealing now as she was 60 years ago. I don't have a sense of the other performances in 1953 were like but I'm still going to say her Oscar win for this was a good call. Gregory Peck is a great leading man for this. More than anything, I'm impressed by the ending. This was very much in the middle of a "happily ever after" period in Hollywood, so an ending with them going their separate ways was unexpected and that it was still played as a happy ending kind of blew my mind.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: My biggest problem with older movies is that if they hold up at all after this long, they get disproportionately revered. I can't even stop myself from doing it. I originally called Peck the "perfect man" for his role. I was going to use words like "timeless" for Hepburn. In truth, this is a solid movie. It's shot well and I like it's Wyler simplicity. There isn't a trace of darkness in it and I can see why people look back on this age in cinema so fondly. For me, it's a fine movie but not my style.

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment