Friday, April 11, 2014

Delayed Reaction: The War of the Roses

The Pitch: A Grimm fairytale look at a divorce.

What Took Me So Long: I don't know. I've really liked the other Danny DeVito directed movies I've seen (Death to Smoochy, Throw Momma from the Train). Had I known he did this one, I'd've probably rushed to see it faster.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Danny DeVito has a great, dark sensibility to his directed works. I kept waiting for broad, overtly comedic moments but they weren't there. It's all fairly subtle or funny after you see it. For example, just the casting of Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner for this, given through Romancing the Stone history is entertaining. Wait, DeVito was in those movies too. They must've really liked working together. This was a very pleasant surprise from my Netflix queue. Thank you Netflix gods!

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Most of my issues with it are my fault. I didn't realize it was a dark comedy at first, so I wasn't sure what to make of it for the first 30 minutes or so. Then, there's the part when they make you think she cooked the dog. I do not approve of even the insinuation of canine violence. That is a bridge too far.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment