Thursday, April 17, 2014

Delayed Reaction: The Babymakers

The Pitch: 30-somethings want a baby. Infertile! Sperm bank! Hijinks!!!

What Took Me So Long: Olivia Munn and that guy who left Parks and Rec. is not a top billing that demands my immediate attention.

Why I Saw It: I've liked Olivia Munn in numerous things even if she has some limitations. Sure, she didn't fit on The Daily Show. She's pretty good in The Newsroom though. I liked what she was doing in the short-lived Perfect Couples. Mostly though, she's proven herself to have a fun personality and I'd like to see something harness that. I'm not sure this is it since she's basically left to play second fiddle and Paul Schneider and the guys get to have all the fun. This has a great, low budget cast including Nat Faxon, Aisha Tyle, Wood Harris, Constance Zimmer, and others so even the weakest of material is delivered with unwarranted aplomb.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Have sperm-bank fertility stories really become a sub-sub-genre by now? I feel like I've seen a shade of this story countless times. Normally, it isn't the whole movie, like this, but almost all the beats have been played out before, and in most cases, better. This also relies heavily on gross-out humor which I do not enjoy at all. There is a reason you haven't heard of this movie before if popped up on Netflix under "Because You Liked Eurotrip".

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment