Thursday, April 24, 2014

Delayed Reaction: The Awakening

The Pitch: Rebecca Hall plays a supernatural investigator who, get this, tracks down a ghost at a school. How has no one every thought of doing this before?

What Took Me So Long: I thought it was a movie adaptation of The Awakening, the book, which sounded a bit dour for most of my moods.

Why I Saw It: Has Rebecca Hall ever not been great in something? She's certainly one of those actresses I didn't notice until about the tenth good movie I saw her in. I wouldn't call horror her best genre although this story didn't give her a lot. There are a couple good scary moments: one in particular involving a dollhouse. None that lingered long after though. I'll also say I didn't see the twist at the end coming.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: ...partly because I didn't care that much. This is very much a "horror by the numbers" movie. It's filled with horror movie regulars like creepy kids, it's always overcast, people start to think the heroine is crazy (even though they asked for her to investigate ghosts). The twist about her being the ghost boy's sister wasn't especially clever. I'd kind of like a darker ending too, but that's a matter of taste.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment