Friday, April 25, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Charlotte's Web

The Pitch: No pitch. I think the movie/tv special industry is required to remake this at least once every ten years so it had to be made.

What Took Me So Long: It's not the the story changes significantly with any remake.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) What can I say? I like talking animals. I like to think of this as Nickelodeon's makeup call for Barnyard since that movie was astoundingly awful. If you are old than 5, you probably already know the story and the movie stays true to it. The voice acting is all well chosen, especially Julia Roberts as Charlotte who sounds like everything she is saying is a bedtime story. Wilbur is energetic and lovable pretty immediately and it broaches the topic of him being killed for dinner without there being too much peril for kids.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I know the story and since it's not interpretation-heavy, this didn't do much for me. It works as a retelling for another generation though. Also, I'm going to attack the story itself a bit. What makes Wilbur so special? I get that he's the protagonist and all, but what makes him "some pig". Now Babe, I get. That pig could wrangle sheep. Wilbur is likable, but I didn't see a single marketable skill. That's a cynical eye to a children's story though, so I'll end it there.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment