Monday, April 7, 2014

DVR Purge: 3/31-4/6

A certain series finale and March Madness in April almost brought me past the week mark again. Oh well, no need to worry about either of those again.


Past Purges


How I Met Your Aunt Robin "Last Forever"
Not again. See this.

Archer "Archer Vice: Palace Intrigue - Part I"
On the plus side, this is the last week in which my HIMYM fury will cloud my thoughts of this show. On the negative side, there's no chance it could make an impression this week other than I enjoy how Fred Armisen seems to have the market cornered for Colombian characters. Didn't recognize Lauren Cohan at all though as Juliana.

Agents of SHIELD "End of the Beginning"
I'm still adapting to watching this show the right way, and the current run of episodes is making it a lot easier for me. The writers finally have a grasp of all the characters. With Skye an agent now, they feel like a team, a unit, so watching them work in an episode like this is more about seeing their individual strengths come together and the conflict of something like whatever May is up to works so well because there's the feeling that she is ruining the good thing they had going. Also, the show is handling the Herculean task of fitting in the Marvel universe without getting in the way of the movies far more nimbly. It's reached the point where I am watching each week to see what happens next as opposed to watching to see if it's getting any better. I still have questions about where the show's ceiling is, but if they keep up their current pace, I'm more than happy to keep up with it.

The Mindy Project "French Me, You Idiot/Indian BBW"
I'm not sure if my fondness has grown in Mindy's absence or these were simply two of the better episodes this season. While the 'shipping of Mindy and Danny has never been an overwhelming push of the series, it is nice having them together for a couple reasons: 1) No revolving door of potential love interests that we no are going nowhere 2) Mindy and Chris

Cougar Town "We Stand a Chance"
Oh, a baby...yay? I have no desire to follow a baby season of this show. Overall, this was an ok season of the show. It's definitely reach a point of diminishing returns, which isn't so bad for a show finishing its 5th season.

The Middle "The Smell"
DVR Issues. I think my cable box hates ABC. In turn, I hate my cable box.

Suburgatory "The Ballad of Piggy Duckworth"
See The Middle.

Modern Family "A Hard Jay's Night"
I'm really getting tired of the show adding one last beat to stories with Cam and Mitchell. Without the last beat, it is a story of Mitchell being uncomfortable with the gender roles others are trying to force him and Cam into  and ends with a revelation that the cake topper is actually a sign of acceptance. With the last beat, Cam is using Mitchel's insecurities to exploit him. See what I mean? These two shouldn't be together. Elsewhere in the episode, Jay and Claire are emotionally stunted but they at least end in a nice place, the writers take another step to accepting that they can't write Luke as a 10 year old anymore, and Phil fits entertainingly naturally into a hair salon. All in all, not bad except for the expected bad story.

The Americans "Behind the Red Door"
Well, that got uncomfortable quick. Here I thought Elizabeth wanting to sleep with Clark was playful. It's clear now why Phillip didn't want to do it. I like that they are using Lucia as a parallel to young Elizabeth instead of using flashbacks. The whole episode was about how messy the job can be, especially emotionally.

The Big Bang Theory "The Indecision Amalgamation"
How has it taken the writers this long to have Amy patronize Sheldon like that? Mayim Bialik was wonderful at the dinner table pretending to care about Sheldon's dilemma. I'm starting to get the feeling that the writers are just going to rotate between women with Raj until they find someone who works with the rest of the cast. The struck gold with Rauch and Bialik and they seem to have the good sense not to force it now. As much as I love Kate Micucci (and I really do), she wouldn't fit well. This new girl could. Who knows.

Community "G.I. Jeff"
Only Community can get away with this. And, not just Community, but season 5 Community. Abed's Christmas required a lot of explaining. This episode had much more of a "just go with it" feeling. I'm slightly too young for all the G.I. Joe-kes, but I got most of them and it worked very well.

Parks and Recreation "Prom"
I love you, Parks and Recreation. The Pikitis ending was a master-stroke. I was in both disbelief and a fit of laughter that carried past my DVR recording. Everything else in the episode worked too. Tom realizing he's not cool. Ben finally getting to be cool. Donna's continued dominance in the dating pool. April and Andy working despite all reason. Ron and Leslie being worthy foes. But, Pikitis...Loved it!

The Crazy Ones "Danny Chase Hates Brad Paisley"
I like that Josh Groban likes being funny. I like that he realizes his strength is playing someone who is a little insufferable. I hate that he's so good at it. In all seriousness that, it's weird that an episode featuring Brad Paisley playing himself (entertainingly, if I may add), also has Groban playing a character and not himself. I'm all for it. It's weird though.

Parenthood "Cold Feet"
I'm so happy they aren't backtracking from Camille and Zeek selling the house, although the story seems to have shifted from them moving to be in the city more to moving for a more manageable house.
This charter school nonsense is proving to be less annoying than I expected. They are getting an expected level of adversity and it all seems to be laying the groundwork for an even larger arc next year. And, most importantly, it keeps Kristina out of politics.
I'd feel a whole lot better for Hank is Romano was a regular on this series. As long as he's not, not matter how many sweet moments he has with Sarah, and that speech in her apartment was very sweet, I'm not going to predict that ends well.
I'm not sure how the writers got me to like Drew's roommate but they have and I'm not really sure how that happened. Good job, writers.
Oh, then there's Roy Ed. Poor Roy Ed. He does all the legwork with Julia but then she goes and sleeps with Dave Mr. Knight instead.

Hannibal "Futamono"
The more I watch this show, the more I want to actually read the books about these characters. It would be nice to know all the holes the show is filling in the stories. Regardless, this is an unbelievably pretty show. I think it's style alone is remarkable enough for it to warrant twice the viewers it gets.

Saturday Night Live "Anna Kendrick/Pharrell"
After a couple really good episodes, this one faltered a bit and it wasn't anything in particular. The sketches were just all in the B range for me. "Dongs" was really funny but didn't seem diverse enough for the length. The Little Mermaid was mainly a way to get Anna Kendrick to sing (don't get me wrong. I'm always for that), but wasn't exceptionally funny after the first time. I love "Les Jeunes De Paris". The only problem this time was that I simply didn't like the song they used. Pharrell was surprisingly wooden in the one sketch they used him in. Even Weekend Update was less than inspired (except I did love the Memory contest jokes more than the studio audience did).

No comments:

Post a Comment