Friday, September 26, 2014

Delayed Reaction: What About Bob?

The Pitch: Can Bill Murray be a sociopath for an entire movie and still be lovable? I have a $40 million budget that thinks so.

What Took Me So Long: The only thing that stopped me from seeing it sooner is that I've seen parts before but never the whole thing, so I kept picking movies that were entirely new to me to watch instead.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I can't think of anyone other than Bill Murray that could play Bob and make him likable. Richard Dreyfuss is nearly as perfect a foil. Something about him makes you want to see him get punched in the face then come right back for some more. Frank Oz doesn't care as much about plausibility in the movies he directs as he does setting up funny scenes, so this is a great movie for that.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It is a more broad comedy and more fitting of its era than in the discussion of "timeless comedies". I smirked a lot. I didn't laugh. The similarities to The Great Outdoors were distracting as well.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment