Sunday, September 28, 2014

Delayed Reaction: World War Z

The Pitch: Zombie! Zombies! Zombies! Find me a book! I don't care how you adapt it.

What Took Me So Long: I had no desire to see this in theaters given what a mess the production was. It's uncommon for me to miss a $200 million blockbuster like this in theaters.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Brad Pitt is one of the few real movie stars left and he doesn't do the action movie thing often enough. The movie has a great sense of scope and there are numerous scenes that I'm a little sad I didn't get to see on the big screen.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Mostly, I'm tired of zombies. After years of trying to reinvent the genre, it's nice to see someone trying to make a blockbuster out of the zombie movie. It's still a saturated market and there's almost nothing that I can think of that World War Z did better than 28 Days Later. The animation for the zombies in this were pretty awful, especially when they became super-speed zombies. The plot was more of an excuse to go to different places and have big zombie scenes more than caring about a story that works. I don't know. I was not impressed with the overall effort.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment