Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Delayed Reaction: The Prince of Tides

The Pitch: Barbara has a book she wants to direct. I mean, a script. She has a script she wants to direct.

What Took Me So Long: Why wouldn't I want to see another movie in which Barbara Streisand humbly casts herself to be the most beautiful and intelligent woman there is? It's hard to say.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) It was nominated for numerous Academy Awards. I guess on a technical level this is well made. Nick Nolte is charming  and I can easily understand why he was a Hollywood leading man. Barbara Streisand is fine, if not a little distracted, which makes sense since she was also directing. I've seen worse.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Where to begin? I'm not a fan of Barbara Streisand (at least, before she started having fun with herself in comedies like Meet the Fockers and The Guilt Trip, and even then it's a stretch). Something like this is much less engaging. I'm pretty tired of stories of South meets North, and how there's wisdom in that "southern charm", and the north is too concerned with its "big city problems". It would be nice to get a view of the South that I haven't seen before.

Verdict (?): Strongly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment