Saturday, September 6, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Rocky

The Pitch: So, I totally didn't hear about this guy named Chuck Wepner, but not I have this great idea for a movie.

What Took Me So Long: There's nothing about this movie that I didn't already know. It's such a pop culture staple. I knew so much about it already that all I'd get from watching it is context.

Why I Saw It: It won the Oscar for Best Picture. While I'm not actively tearing through that list, it's a nice side goal to keep in mind. I think Stallone does better work here than he's given credit for as well. More than anything though, I liked finally seeing how influential this movie is in pop culture, not the craft of film-making. The quotes, the music, the scenes. I forget how much this movie inspired parody and tropes. I can't say what it was like to watch it back in 1976, but the number of things in it that made me say "oh yeah" is kind of astounding.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Perhaps I'm still too uneducated in film but I've never understood why film nerds lose their shit over the movies of the 70s and Rocky is a good example of what I mean. It's a messy movie. It sets Rocky up as a nobody, spends way too long following his love life (including the uncomfortably intimidating scene when he first kisses Adrian in his apartment), and this title fight falls into his lap because it works for the story. If you try a movie now with the same beats it would be laughed out of the film festivals.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment