Monday, September 8, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Rocky V

The Pitch: Remember how the last Rocky ruled the box office? We might as well make another one.

What Took Me So Long: Honestly, I didn't know this one existed for a very long time.

Why I Saw It: I've seen all the other Rocky movies. There's no sense in skipping this one. Sometimes you're just in the mood for a boxing movie.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: After watching this, I fully understand why it killed the franchise. I'm not sure there was ever much chance of having success in a Rocky franchise following the next generation, but this movie was not the way to try it out. The movie ends in a god damn street brawl. How does that happen. The central conflict is Rocky and his son not bonding. Everyone involved looked tired in this. They could've stopped with Rocky IV and had a pretty special franchise. Instead, it has become another case of Hollywood continuing to fix something until it's broken.

Verdict (?): Strongly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment