Friday, September 5, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Ice Age: Continental Drift

The Pitch: We've run out of stories for Manny, Sid, and Diego. Let's give the kids some more to do.

What Took Me So Long: I wanted to see the other ones first. Granted, I did go out of order for those.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) In terms of series on their 4th movie, this seems to be concerned with keeping things fresh: adding characters voiced by Jennifer Lopez, Drake, Nick Minaj (I I see what they're doing...), and others to go along with the already established voice cast of dinosaurs like Ray Romano, Denis Leary, and John Leguizamo (see what I did there?). It's interesting that they are setting this up as a "next generation" precursor. I wonder if there are plans to move past the core characters at some point soon.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: More is not the same as better. It's great that so many different actors are interested in being in this (for the paychecks) but that doesn't mean the writers need to add a character for everyone who says "yes". Then there's the fact that with each movie, the premise is getting harder to follow. They've experienced the beginning and end of an ice age, found dinosars, and I guess this one is more global warming (?). It must be too late to go back to basics.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment