Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Delayed Reaction: The Croods

The Pitch: I heard the other day that the Neanderthal and Cro-Magnon probably existed at the same time. I wonder if we could make a movie about that?

What Took Me So Long: I tend to avoid animated movies in theaters due to the kid factor.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Well, there's the Emma Stone of it all. Even animated, I'll see something with her name in it. Overall, I was impressed with some of the restraint the movie showed. I fully expected to see a T-Rex by the end of this and there wasn't one (like, say, in Ice Age).

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I have to learn to let science go for these movies better. Every time the Nic Cage caveman threw modern man Ryan Reynolds with physics defying strength, I shuddered. Maybe if they toned it down, just a little, I'd be less distracted. There was a cleverness to certain "discoveries" that I appreciated. The utter lack of understanding of fire and where light comes from was entertaining and a beat smarter than I expected to see. Largely, it's just a little too generic for my taste. I already can't keep jokes from it and Ice Age straight in my head until I think "Did a wooly mammoth do that?".

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment