Thursday, September 11, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2

The Pitch: Let's make a movie of all the leftover ideas from the first Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

What Took Me So Long: I wanted to avoid the risk of being in a theater full of children, so I waited for Netflix to bring it to me.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) The first movie was cute. It had characters like Flint (Bill Hader) and Sam (Anna Farris) who were hard to dislike. It told a simple story and filled it with clever jokes, developed from a ridiculous concept (kind of Lord & Miller's specialty, I'm realizing). The sequel continues that, even with the law of diminishing returns in effect.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I can promise you that within a couple weeks of watching this, I won't be able to tell the two movies apart. They are the same thing with the same beats and similar punchlines. I can't fault it too much for that because no one had delusions of grandeur regarding the movie. One thing that I couldn't stop from bothering me is why some food is alive and adorable, but most is fine being set decoration. That goes back to the first movie too and I need to drop it, since it questions too much of the conceit of the movie.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment