Wednesday, September 3, 2014

DVR Purge: 8/27-9/2

Where are the new shows? I'm pretty sure that even these seasons are winding down. Girl Meets World is apparently on some sort of hiatus (after 7 episodes? What the hell is that about?). Apparently, this is becoming the weekly salute to You're the Worst, as it offered the best new episode of the three again.

Past Purges 
 
The Bridge "Goliath"
I've hinted at it for weeks and now I've reached the tipping point. The story has escalated beyond what I'm following. I didn't know Fausto was in such a vulnerable place. I didn't know that Eleanor's services were regarded so highly. I didn't know that someone like "The Gringo" would need to be brought in to go after Sonya. I've never known what Linder is up to. I'm following the story in as far as I can follow week to week. There's not much room to chew on or process it though. That would require far more attention and reflection on events.

Married "Waffles & Pizza"
The more the show moves toward Lina and Russ as a team and away from being bickering husband and wife the better. Don't get me wrong. Russ is an idiot and Lina kind of conniving. They aren't always on the same page, such as when then are trying to convince what's-her-name to leave her husband so they can buy the house. They aren't a great team, but they are together and that's far more entertaining. It's easier to like "us against the world" than "us against each other". It also allows for a sweet moment like Russ apologizing for not being able to provide better.
Elsewhere, Jess is the only other character they are bothering to flesh out, giving her a nearly stand-alone story looking for cocaine for her boss (Davin Wain). AJ is used more as a means to an end and I couldn't tell you any of the daughters' names. I'm all for having more Jenny Slate in my life. It's a strangely built ensemble though.

You're the Worst "Equally Dead Inside"

Another week, another couple mile marker. Last week ended with the decision to be exclusive. This week deals with some of the fallout from that. Jimmy gets depressed and Gretchen is tasked with cheering him up. Neither person is much of a listener so that goes expectedly sour. Gretchen's method of solving this is to have a threesome, which makes her a pretty splendid girlfriend. Too bad Jimmy ruined it by, well, vigiously and quickly imagining that exactly what was about to happen did happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment