Thursday, September 18, 2014

Delayed Raction: Sneakers

The Pitch: Robert Redford isn't too old for a spy movie. Here's the script that will prove it.

What Took Me So Long: For some reason, every time I ran across it, I thought it was a geriatric The Perfect Score and that's not a positive light.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) This cast is stupid talented. Robert Redford: Oscar winner. Sidney Potier: Oscar winner. Ben Kingley: Oscar Winner. David Strathairn, Dan Akroyd, River Phoenix, Mary McDonnell: all Oscar nominees. That's a lot of talent for a pretty slight movie. I'm kind of stunned that so many of the actors signed on.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: The upside of a movie like this is Ocean's 11 which worked pretty perfectly. This did not achieve that. It's an agreeable movie but little else. I thought it was funny because my initial reaction to the movie was that if felt dated but I assumed it didn't 20 years ago, when it was released. Then, I stumbled across a review from when it came out that said the movie played like a caper from 20 years ago. So, it looks like this movie never felt fresh.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment